Kenyan Journal

I am now planning a March 2007 Mission trip to Kenya. See the description below.

Wednesday, July 13, 2005

On to Nairobi

It is Wednesday and I am in Nairobi.

It was hard to leave Maseno. I found that after about a week and a half and a few trips to Nakumatt I was feeling quite at home in Kenya. Why Nakumatt? The are the Kenyan Wal-Mart and have a fine selection of everything imaginable including enoug western food to offset my tummy's upset with the carb onslaught of the first week.
We have gotten a good bit done. The CBO development project will get underway with 34 families. We are launching a small enterprise that will employ several women entrepreneurs selling snacks and new foods to Maseno University and Hospital folks. I have gotten a raft of great input from the Mother's Union volunteers about what more they need at the orphan centers. Nine more parishes want to join the program!
I met with 40 or so clergy from the Diocese after spending a lovely evening with Bishop Oketch at his home. I gave my standard presentation on Richard Hooker and folks were very responsive. Lots of good discussion about Anglican Identity. They also had lots of questions about how clergy are deployed, how they interact with parishioners and the bishop. We decided that Kenyan Bishops have more power than US bishops, and US Rectors have great protections under our canons. All in all a good day.
All of the clergy, the Bishop and the people in the parishes I have served these last four Sundays send their greetings to All Souls and their appreciation for my visit. I explained that it was their extraordinary committment to these orphans and to lifting themselves from the poverty of the region that was truly inspiring and that we were glad to be partners with them in this work.
I will be arranging to get to the Mercy Care Center and I might even get a day at the Nairobi Musuem.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home